Arab League to Unveil Syria Plan as Violence Continues
11/3/11voa
AFP: A handout picture released by the Syrian Arab News Agency shows a huge Syrian flag as people rally in support of President Bashar al-Assad in the city of Raqqa, northeast of Damascus, November 2, 2011. -AFP: PHOTO/HO-SANA

Violence continued in Syria Wednesday with at least 16 deaths, as the Arab League is expected to announce a plan to curb the months-long government crackdown on dissenters.

Syrian activists say gunmen killed 11 factory workers Wednesday in the Homs province village of Kfar Laha.  Details of the incident were not clear. Activists also say security forces killed five civilians in and around Homs, a center of the country's uprising.

The deaths come as the Arab League plans to make an announcement on Syria from the bloc's headquarters in Cairo.  A Syrian state news report says Syrian authorities and an Arab League ministerial committee have come to terms on a "final document."

Specifics of an agreement have not been released.

Earlier this week, Arab League diplomats disclosed a proposal calling for the Syrian government to withdraw security forces from the streets, stop violence by pro-government forces against civilians, and begin talks with the Syrian opposition in Cairo.

On Friday, the 22-member league sharpened its criticism of Syria after rights activists said Syrian security forces had shot and killed dozens of anti-government protesters as part of a widening crackdown on dissent.

The United Nations says the number of people killed in the seven-month-old uprising has surpassed 3,000. The Syrian government says terrorists have killed hundreds of security personnel during that period.

Meanwhile, thousands of supporters of Syrian president Bashar al-Assad gathered in the northern city of Raqqa to rally for the government.  It appeared to be the latest of several state-organized rallies in support of Mr. Assad.

Readers Comments